Cure Angular Cheilitis Naturally
Angular Cheilitis is a condition where there are cold sores in both the corners of the mouth, which if not properly treated may lead inflammation and severe splits that may accompany chronic pain to the person. There are many causes for the occurrence of Angular Cheilitis caused by different factors that increase the risk for even the normal persons to get afflicted.
Symptoms of Angular Cheilitis:
Angular Cheilitis begins with cold sores on both the corners of the mouth, which gradually develops into inflammatory Lesions resulting in deep cracks and splits that start bleeding over time. The afflicted person suffers chronic pain not only while opening or closing his mouth, but also during other times. What comes as cold sores may turn into Angular Cheilitis by constant Lip Licking as Bacterial and Fungal infections may develop in the saliva.
Causes of Angular Cheilitis:
Major cause of Angular Cheilitis is attributed to a weak Immune system, which paves way for Bacterial and Fungal infections to develop on the chapped lips as the body is unable to fight these infections. Angular Cheilitis is considered to be caused by many or combination of factors such as deficiencies of vitamin B12, Iron. Etc, allergies to particular food items, prolonged use of cosmetics and allergies to cosmetics. It is also said to occur due to old age, though it is also found in persons of all age groups. However, there is no single cause that is attributed as a sole cause of Angular Cheilitis which makes it difficult for treatment.
Modern Medicine for Angular Cheilitis
As doctors cannot find the root cause of Angular Cheilitis, they generally prescribe a 1% cortisone cream, and topical steroids. Topical anti-fungal creams like nystatin, clotrimazole or econazole are also prescribed. These usually give a temporary relief, but do not cure the root cause of Angular Cheilitis. In spite of using these medications, one can treat Angular Cheilitis naturally by using home remedies.
Natural Remedies for Angular Chelitis:
- Drinking lots of water will reduce de-hydration and to prevent the affected area from getting wet, one can use a straw to drink it.
- Eating lots of green leafy vegetables and fruits can help in strengthening the immune system.
- Application of freshly grounded or cut cucumber can reduce the irritation and pain.
- Coconut oil applied over the lips also works. So does Vitamin E oil.
- Honey is a sweet and yet another natural substance that helps in fighting the bacteria and fungus that causes the infection. Simple application of honey in the affected area for 15 minutes will help.
- Aloe vera gel application also helps treat the infection and in reducing the pain. Rub the gel or aloe vera leaf for a minute or two on the corners of the mouth and let it dry for 15 minutes before washing it off.
- Unscented and unflavored lip balms that do not contain chemicals can be of help in keeping the lip moist and reducing the inflammation.
- Cocoa butter is also a very good moisturizer. It can help get rid of Chapped lips in the beginning itself before it develops itself into Angular Cheilitis.
Natural Remedies for Angular Cheilitis is reported to cure the cause of it rather the modern medicine which helps in curing the symptoms. No one wants to suffer in Angular Cheilitis for a prolonged time, and hence one can try the natural remedies that are mentioned above.